DeveloperWe are looking for a talented and knowledgeable developer to join us as we build upon the success of our recent relaunch and start on a number of challenging new projects. The ideal candidate is a person who is passionate about Web technologies and performance, with the skill to optimize for scalability and speed. We value critical thinking and multiple points of view, and as such we are committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates.
Your work matters
The New Yorker offers a signature mix of reporting and commentary. It publishes the best writers of its time and has received more National Magazine Awards than any other magazine, for its groundbreaking reporting, authoritative analysis, and creative vision.
As a developer on the New Yorker technology team, you will help create innovative digital products, across the backend and frontend, that push the boundaries of how the world’s best journalism, criticism, humor, and fiction are consumed by readers.
You will be part of a team that is responsible for frontend, user experience, critical services, and applications used over ten million readers each month.
Responsibilities will include
- Collaborating with editorial and other departments on new initiatives and the continued improvement of our reading experience
- Developing page templates (WordPress), reusable page modules, and other web components based on mockups, wireframes, and functional specifications
- Working with and building software systems and APIs for internal and external consumption
- Integrating a diverse set of data sources, including relational databases, REST based services, search engines, key/value data stores, and JSON/XML data
- Collaborating with other development teams and building new products in an iterative development environment
- Experience and enthusiasm for working as part of a team
- PHP and MySQL
- Strong PHP chops
- Familiarity with relational databases
- WordPress platform, other CMS/platforms/frameworks
- Plugin development and ACF experience a plus
- Design patterns and current issues and practices
- Expertise in HTML, CSS, and cross‐browser quirks
- Except IE6. (Breath easy.)
- Experience with Sass, Grunt, Vagrant, etc, a plus
- Attention to performance and optimization
- We’re open to technologies that can help to get the job done, so past experience outside of the LAMP stack is a welcome addition
- Contributions to open-source projects. Let us know!
- Practical experience with ad serving technologies
- A background in NodeJS
Please email your résumé (or provide a link to it) to Michael Donohoe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to include any additional background information you think may be helpful.
About Condé Nast
Condé Nast is renowned for provocative, influential, award winning content-across brands, across platforms, and across continents. In the United States, Condé Nast publishes eighteen consumer magazines, four business-to-business publications, twenty-seven websites (The New Yorker, Wired, Vogue, Vanity Fair, GQ, Ars Technica, and more), and more than fifty apps for mobile and tablet devices, all of which define excellence in their categories. The company also owns Fairchild Fashion Media (FFM) whose portfolio of brands serves as the leading source of news and analysis for the global fashion community. Condé Nast has won more National Magazine Awards over the past ten years than all of its competitors combined.
- Condé Nast is an equal-opportunity workplace.
- Duties and responsibilities may be adjusted based on years of experience.
- Salary is also commensurate with experience.
Visit here for more information on opportunities across Condé Nast.
[JOB] Developer, Condé Nast
More from JobMore posts in Job »
- JOB: Freelance Gig Lighting and Sensing for an Inflatable Artwork
- JOB: Part-Time Teaching Artist at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
- JOB: Fulltime Digital Designer (Visual) @ $100M-funded no-code startup with great mission
- JOB: Tenure-track position in Multimedia Arts (3D/Immersive/Interactive Media) at Loyola Marymount University
- JOB: NYU College and Career Lab Undergraduate Advisors