Full-time, Project Manager
About The Shed
Opening in spring 2019 where the High Line meets Hudson Yards on Manhattan’s westside, The Shed will be the first arts center dedicated to commissioning, producing, and presenting all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. From hip hop to classical music, painting and sculpture to literature, film to theater and dance, The Shed will bring together leading artists from all disciplines under one roof. The building—an innovative 200,000-square-foot structure designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Rockwell Group—is designed to physically transform to support artists’ most ambitious ideas. Committed to nurturing artistic invention, The Shed, led by Artistic Director and CEO Alex Poots, will work with artists from a broad range of genres and backgrounds, along with innovative thinkers from across the sciences and humanities, to advance culture in the 21st century.
About the Position
This is a early/junior position. The Project Manager will play a key role within The Shed’s Science & Technology team, which is charged with developing 21st Century digital experiences for The Shed’s opening in 2019 and creating creative digital platforms for The Shed’s performances, exhibitions, programs, initiatives, and events. The Project Manager will work closely with the Director of Digital Product to define project plans and timelines for The Shed’s digital product roadmaps, balance multiple projects, keep projects on track and under budget, evangelize and execute agile processes and methodology, and identify and provide solutions to mitigate constraints and risks in the technology development process. The ideal candidate will be someone who connects deeply with The Shed’s mission to advance contemporary culture and can work collaboratively with colleagues across a new and quickly growing organization.
The Project Manager will also be responsible for working with senior stakeholders, key members of teams across departments, as well as outside vendors and consultants. This is a full-time engagement responsible for efficiently managing the project development cycle of several key technology institutional projects.
- Develop/maintain project plans and timelines for multiple science & technology capital projects, working in parallel
- Execute project management activities and deliverable development including preparation and maintenance of project documents (i.e. project plans, status updates, action item log, meeting agendas, and budget reports)
- Develop a deep understanding of client-side needs from stakeholders in the areas of Program, Digital, Marketing, Visitor Experience, Finance, and Development
- Synthesize key stakeholder feedback and review; oversee QA processes
- Communicate project status clearly and effectively to key stakeholders and senior management of overall status against constraints (scope, cost, and schedule)
- Facilitates regular status meetings with project team, shared services, and other stakeholders
- Assist in managing various capital projects across web, mobile, API, CMS development
- Assist in managing ticketing platform integrations across various digital platforms
- Act as liaison between web/mobile developers and ticketing platform partner
- Work and communicate effectively with all involved teams within The Shed, including Program, Visitor Experience, Education, Digital, Marketing, Membership, and Special Events
- Assist in discovering strategic opportunities to build features into The Shed digital products
- Support the implementation of locative technologies into our digital products
- Act as liaison between vendors, implementation team, Operations staff, and the Science & Technology Department
- Accountable for the success of projects within the scope of all projects in which Project Manager is providing oversight
- Apply knowledge of Agile/Scrum methodologies and developer practices as required
Qualifications and Qualities:
- 1-2 years of experience in project management, preferably in contemporary arts and Culture
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, or related field required
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Strong strategic, organizational, and project management skills
- Quick and nimble, with demonstrated ability to manage a diverse number of projects with limited supervision and a positive attitude
- Working knowledge of digital product landscape, emerging platforms, and engaging key influencers
- Working knowledge with G-Suite, Adobe, and project management tools
- Effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical personnel
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Project Manager” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.