Director, Product Design – Design Systems
- NY New York 30 Hudson Yards
- CA San Francisco 153 Kearny Street
- GA Atlanta One CNN Center
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted Yesterday
- job requisition id
Every great story has a new beginning. We’re excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world’s most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We’re home to the world’s best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
Director of Product Design, Design Systems
CNN is the world’s most essential and engaging source of video and digital news. The Internet is changing the news and information landscape, and we have an ambitious product roadmap grounded in journalism and facts. We’re embarking on a crucial mission to invent the next generation of news and information experiences to inform, engage, and empower the world. We are taking an agile, data-informed approach to build products and develop content that sparks connections, fulfills utility, and builds community.
We seek individuals who value collaboration and can align team members to increase our speed and scale. We also seek individuals who share our passion for building trusted new digital products, platforms, and content that put CNN’s talent and expertise directly in the hands of consumers.
As Director of Product Design, Design Systems you are a member of the world-class CNN Digital Product Design Team, which is responsible for creating industry-leading user experiences engaged by millions across the globe. CNN is driven by a shared commitment to put our users at the center of the experiences we build and to push the boundaries on what an exceptional digital experience can be.
Our Design System, Vossi, is young and in hyper growth mode. This is an incredible opportunity to join at ground level, to envision and implement a world-class, scalable Design System.
The Director of Product Design, Design Systems is an experienced design leader, who’ll collaborate with design, product, engineering, research, editorial, analytics and content strategy to create reusable frameworks that support speed and innovation towards a stellar end user experience. In this role you will have the opportunity to impact the entirety of CNN’s digital experience, one of the most trusted news organizations in the world, and at the same time impact CNN’s bottom line.
In this role you will:
- Steer the holistic view for the growth and execution of CNN’s Design System Program
- Foster a deep collaborative culture and promote partnership with cross-functional teams
- Work with cross-functional teams across product areas to evangelize the Vossi Design System, defining and promoting design and accessibility standards, utilizing reusable components, across platforms and at scale
- Partner with your cross-functional leads to identify and plan for interdependencies as well as opportunities to solve problems and enhance the Vossi Design System
- Develop and communicate the Vossi vision, laddering into the overall CNN Digital Product vision
- Manage a team of system and content designers to identify product design needs, processes and documentation; work with cross-functional leads to build and execute on the design system roadmap
- Own and plan with Design System metrics
- Empower and mentor designers; foster a cohesive, committed, passionate, productive, and positive environment, working towards the highest caliber of craft and a best-in-class design system
- Advocate for users with a strong sense of user empathy, while establishing a high performing team structure
- Be committed to challenging the status quo, understanding the boundaries of technology, business; but most importantly knowing when to push it
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas
- 10+ years related work experience leading design at consumer-focused technology companies
- Proven track record of managing design systems at scale
- 5+ years managing designers
- Deep understanding of high-efficiency, high-output centralized design systems and partnerships
- Extensive experience with defining and refining design system operational and governance processes
- Impeccable written and verbal communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Data-driven, with extensive experience rolling out large-scale programs
- An exceptional track record of building and empowering a team of designers to help them grow and succeed
- Experience leading and building world-class product design teams and streamlining workflows for continuous iteration and improvement
- Expertise in Figma, and extensive experience in program management tools such as Confluence and Jira
- Experience and passion for affecting culture change
- Bachelor’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles that will be performed in New York City. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery’s total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $182,700.00 – $339,300.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.