The Tillman Story is the award winning documentary about Pat Tillman, who left his professional football career to serve in the Army Rangers in 2003. Director Amir Bar-Lev explores the Tillman family’s journey to discover the truth about Pat’s death after he was killed in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan.
Awarded a grant by the Tribeca New Media Fund in October 2011, the film is being reworked for the web in a partnership between Axis Films, Investigative Editors and Reporters, and Mozilla.
The project is entering pre-production this February, and is seeking a lead developer.
This is an opportunity to chart a new kind of storytelling, with technology that’s ripe with possibility, and a story that continues to weigh on the American conscience. Interested? Email <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Tillman Story Interactive / Development Manager
Dynamic developer needed to helm exciting web-based interactive documentary project. This is a hybrid project coordinator / developer position leading a team of passionate makers.
A web-based version of acclaimed documentary THE TILLMAN STORY has been undertaken by filmmaker Amir Bar-Lev, with help from from Tribeca Film Institute, DocumentCloud, and Mozilla. Viewer swill be able to access, navigate, and annotate never before seen outtakes and documents in a HTML5, popcorn.js based platform.
This is both a leap into the future of storytelling, and an exercise in participatory journalism. Read more about the project here. (http://www.tribecafilm.com/
tribecaonline/future-of-film/ ) Read more about the original feature film The Tillman Story here. (http://tillmanstory.com/site/ The-Tillman-Story-The- Interactive-Edition.html ) Development begins early 2012.
- coordinate with a team of passionate storytellers and technologists to execute an innovative web documentary project.
- coordinate technical development of The Tillman Story Interactive Edition, working with producers, advisors, journalists, and a broader open source community
- lead the development of a user front-end experience that integrates video, documents, and other resources using popcorn.js and DocumentC
- work closely with developers at Mozilla and DocumentCloud to develop a powerful open source toolkit to be piloted through this project, and expanded over time
- help drive engagement with journalists and the public through the platform
- make the final product as magnetic, engaging, and cutting-edge as possible.
- great design sense and comfort with front-end development
- special skills with graphics, UX, other user-facing work a plus
- passion for good information architecture
- loves exploring the future of interaction and storytelling
- comfortable with uncertainty
- comfortable working with filmmakers, journalists, and others to tell a good story and change the world.
- Reports to the director Amir Bar Lev, Axis Films
- 3 month contract, competitive
- Collaborates with developers from the Mozilla community and DocumentCloud
- Ideally based in New York, L.A. or San Francisco. Remote work an option.