Full-Time Position Announcement
Posted: September 1, 2014
Closing Date: October 1, 2014
Position Title: Community Solar Facilitator
Solar One, a nonprofit organization that promotes the adoption of solar technology in New York City, is seeking motivated, creative applicants for the new position of Community Solar Facilitator. The Facilitator will serve as the lead field implementer for Here Comes Solar!, a new initiative that aims to make solar technology more understandable, affordable and attainable through group-based collaboration, and other network-based strategies. This position provides the opportunity to work with a dedicated, hardworking team and to make critical contributions to an innovative new approach to increasing solar adoption in America’s largest city.
In 2014 Here Comes Solar! will build on Solar One’s successful 2013 pilot projects, including Solarize Brooklyn, to launch a set of community-based solar projects working with diverse groups of homeowners, building owners, and nonprofit organizations all over New York City. The Facilitator will work closely with technical field staff and report to the Here Comes Solar! Initiative Director, with major responsibilities including:
• Conducting outreach to potential community partners and program participants (homeowners, building owners, community leaders).
• Organizing and delivering education sessions and events for potential program participants.
• Promoting, maintaining and managing an online support and knowledge-sharing network composed of current and aspiring solar system owners and beneficiaries.
• Coordinating program activities with community partners, including neighborhood groups, community development and environmental justice organizations, and associations of nonprofit and/or religious organizations.
• Assisting with solar installer review and selection processes.
• Creating blog and video content documenting ongoing initiative activities
• Providing oversight of volunteer and intern activities.
• Tracking program progress and metrics, and organizing reports to program partners
• Writing drafts of marketing materials, program reports, and other documents.
• General project management and administrative support: organizing files and proposals, scheduling meetings, event logistics, and other tasks.
The Facilitator position is strongly field oriented and involves working in neighborhoods throughout New York City, as well as Solar One’s Manhattan Office. The position requires regular attendance at participant meetings and events on weekends and during evening hours. This is a full-time, salaried position offering full health/dental benefits and paid time off. Salary will be commensurate with The Facilitator position combines elements of community organizing, project management, public education, and program administration. We are looking for highly creative applicants with exceptional communication skills, a demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain participant networks, and organize and manage complex projects, and a strong commitment to driving solar adoption in New York City. 3+ years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field are required. Familiarity with the general technical, performance and financial characteristics of grid-interconnected solar photovoltaics is preferred. Qualifications include:
• Experience working with community, environmental, and/or related projects.
• Ability to work independently and proactively identify opportunities, problems and solutions
• Understanding of and experience with a wide range of outreach/marketing strategies, including social media.
• Outstanding writing skills for everything from tweets to program reports tailored to diverse audiences and varying knowledge levels.
• Comfort and experience as a public speaker; ability to communicate effectively, persuasively and passionately one-on-one and in group settings.
• Experience with event scheduling and logistics • Excellent organizational skills and ability to track schedules and metrics for multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong aptitude with computers and online applications. Proficiency with MS Office and Google Apps required, experience with WordPress, Adobe CS, and video editing software a plus.
• Knowledge of solar photovoltaic and thermal technologies, policies, and financing a plus.
• Current driver’s license and comfort driving in NYC a plus (car ownership not required).
• Fluency in language(s) other than English a plus.
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter in .doc, .docx or .pdf format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to share examples of previous work, please include links in your resume or on a separate page. No phone calls, please. Position will remain open until filled.
Solar One is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. We are committed to diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA/Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.